one trip, a few words and I'm ready to discover what's in store for my life... My name is Karina and I am making the BIG life changing move overseas to the UK. It’s time for me to make the move and discover what could be awaiting me.

"you decide every moment of every day, who you are and what you believe in. You get a second chance every second"

Follow me on Twitter @wordofthetrip

May 27, 2012

Everybody has a story


Week 4- Jewellery-licious-mama-Mia
Mia is a jeweller/ jewellery designer raised in Sydney but has travelled far and wide. She loves a challenge, meeting new people and experiencing anything and everything. Loves food, coffee, art, yoga, fashion, bling of course, skipping and sunshine. Florence is her magic place and she's a killer whistler. Mia is on a mission to make it big in London.



How did you get to be living in London?

Living overseas had always been on the cards for my boyfriend and I. Originally we were tossing up between the UK or US, I much prefer Europe plus we have family and friends in Italy so it made sense to be here. The timing was right so we left at the end of 2011 and travelled for a couple of months then started fresh in Londontown.

What helped you make this decision?

I think we both carry the notion that life is too short to not do everything you want to do or at least give it a try,  and to experience everything the world has to offer. We needed a break from life in Sydney and a change of scenery; I always find that you appreciate home so much more after spending time away too. Also, one of the main reasons for me was I wanted to grow my business and try and succeed on a much larger scale within the European jewellery trade.  

Who encouraged you? Who didn’t encourage you? What was the feeling from your family and friends?

Everyone was very supportive.... except my little Grandma who was very sad :( But my family and friends are pretty used to me disappearing overseas for stints each year, however I think this time they think I may never come home! 

Why London? Explain you love? If it wasn’t here where else would it be? Why isn’t it there?

I'd ultimately love to be living in Italy, Florence specifically, as the culture and quality of life there is like no where else. However, the job market is not so good so London was the next best option. Being so close to the rest of Europe was definitely a huge attraction, and makes it so easy for weekend escapes.


Are you happy with your situation here in London? Work, love, friends, social?

I am loving London so far, we've only been here a little over 3 months and it's just recently that I have felt completely settled. I'm renting an amazing shared jewellery studio in Hatton Garden, working part-time for a Jewellery Gallery and have a lot of exciting things in the pipeline. I'm really lucky to have a handful of my best friends living here too who have made the transition super fun and easy. 



What goes on in your flat during the week? Do you rent alone, random share? Was it always like this? Where were you before? Do you feel a connection with the area you live in? Why/why not?  

We are renting a flat that belongs to a friend of a friend, in Islington. It's an old Edwardian school converted into lofts, it's just the two of us and we live in the girls/ infants quarter :) We really love the apartment and the area. Some friends used to live around the corner who we stayed with 2 years ago so it always brings back memories of when we first discovered Islington. Apparently there are more pubs per square mile here than any where else in London - fact. And there are so many great cafes and restaurants and design shops so there's always a real buzz.


Name your favourite places in your area you can recommend to others.

Maison D'etre is a great little cafe and has the best coffee by far in Islington. Otto Lenghi for brunch/ lunch and amazing cakes. The Albion is our favourite old school pub - great kitchen and beautiful beer garden for summer. The Almedia theatre and their modern french restaurant is a must.



What is your favourite memory so far living in London?

Too many to count.... probably Sunday avo drinks and roast tradition with the Sydney crew. Also walking through Hampstead Heath on a sunny day with all the magnolia's in bloom. 


Are you constantly wearing something in particular at the moment? Why? Do you always do that?


I have been living in my black leather jacket because it's been soooooo cold, until today when the sun came out and the heat wave hit. My wardrobe mainly consists of vintage floral dresses so they are always a staple for me. 


What are you anticipating at the moment?

A few special visitors - friends and family - from back home, and an amazing summer full of travels to Italy, Spain and France. Oh and a new collection launch.


The best colour in the world is….?

GOLD!


Fantasy question – if you could live in another era, be another person, have a secret talent, what would they be?
I always wanted to live in The Magic Far Away Tree and hang out with Moon-Face.


Would you change anything in your life?

Not a thing.... I have my prince charming, amazing friends and the best-est family ever!







check out Mia's jewellery at www.miachicco.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...